2018 Reading Challenge

I really am a librarian.  This may shock some of you, but I love to read.  My TBR pile is usually in some state of being completely out of control and I like it like that.  I never have to worry about a gap between books. 

In January of last year I learned about the Christian Reading Challenge that Tim Challies puts together over at his blog.  My TBR pile is still out of control, but now it has some more direction.  I didn't realize until I started this program of loosely guided reading how stuck in a rut I had become.  I tend to like what I like and that's what I read.  My reading tastes have expanded.  I feel that I'm learning to read more broadly and deeply.

Last year and continuing into this year, I've posted what I've read on my Facebook page.  I realize that some of my friends and family simply do not care about all of the amazing books I've read over the last 18 months, but I still wanted to share.  So this blog came into being.  I hope that this blog becomes participatory.  Some of the best recommendations for my next great read have come from friends, patrons at the library, and coworkers who are all voracious readers.  I hope that as we travel this road together, that you will tell me what you're reading or what you have recently read and loved.

I thought for this post I'd get you up to date on what I've read so far this year.  It would feel a little like we were starting this conversation somewhere in the middle if I just shared the second half of the year with you.  My goal is to read 2 books a week during 2018.  I confess, I'm slightly behind, but with enough rainy days I'll catch up.  Here we go!

Biography and Autobiography 
Craig and Fred by Craig Grossi
Movie Night with the Reagans by Mark Weinberg
A Widow's Journey by Gayle Roper
I Will Always Write Back by Caitlin Alifrenka and Martin Ganda
Daring to Hope by Katie Davis Majors
Sisters First by Jenna Bush Hager and Barbara Pierce Bush
Bad-Ass Librarians of Timbuktu by Joshua Hammer
Walking with Peety by Eric O'Grey

Poetry
Wade in the Water by Tracy K. Smith
The Type by Sarah Kay
All Our Wild Wonder by Sarah Kay

If you aren't a fan of poetry (I'm not either!), I recommend finding a friend who both loves poetry and knows you well.  I've developed an appreciation of poetry as a direct result of my colleague's gentle guidance.

Graphic Novel
Maus by Art Spiegelman
Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Quiet Girl in a Noisy World by Debbie Tung

Also not a fan of graphic novels.  They left me wanting more rather than feeling fulfilled.  Again, find someone who appreciates this genre and knows you well to guide your choice.

Children's Books
Remembering Vera by Patricia Polacco
The Length of a String by Elissa Brent Weissman
Winnie:  The True Story of the Bear Who Inspired Winnie the Pooh by Sally Walker
Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans
Marshmallow by Clare Turlay Newberry

Because sometimes you need to walk down memory lane or create new memories with the little ones in your life.

Young Adult
The Forgotten Book by Mechthild Glaser
The Great Hunt by Wendy Higgins

Inspirational and Instructive
Wait and See by Wendy Pope
Think Before You Like by Guy P. Harrison
Before You Wake by Erick Erickson
Spread Thanks by Elena Anguita
Make Your Bed by William H. McRaven
A Praying Life by Paul Miller
The Vanishing American Adult by Ben Sasse
Happiness is a Choice You Make by John Leland
A Year of No Sugar by Eve O. Schaub
Kind is the New Classy by Candace Cameron Bure
What to Do When I'm Gone by Suzy Hopkins
Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Send by David Shipley and Will Schwalbe
The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning by Margareta Magnusson

Fiction
Rutland Place by Anne Perry
We Were the Lucky Ones by Georgia Hunter
Loving Luther by Allison Pittman
A Dangerous Legacy by Elizabeth Camden
The Light Between Oceans by M. L. Stedman
Murder on Black Swan Lane by Andrea Penrose
Murder at Half Moon Gate by Andrea Penrose
An Uncertain Choice by Jody Hedlund
Amish Promises by Leslie Gould
White Chrysanthemum by Mary Lynn Bracht
In the Field of Grace by Tessa Afshar
Keturah by Lisa T. Bergren 
The Innkeeper's Daughter by Michelle Griep

There you have it.  Now you're all caught up and we can move forward together.  I look forward to getting to know each other and sharing our reading gems.

Until next time...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I've Been Reading

A Book for Going and a Book for Coming Home

Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis