It's been a little quiet here...

With all the comings and goings of my children for the holidays, I've been a little preoccupied.  My reading pace has slowed down a bit of late as well.  I know I'm not going to make it to my 100 book goal, but I'll be ending in the mid to high 90's this year.  Last year I read seventy-something books. 



Stop Mass Hysteria by Michael Savage and Hit Makers by Derek Thompson

To sum up what I learned from these two titles, we aren't as smart as we think we are.  Hit Makers describes the different media campaigns or perfect storm of circumstances that make people, music, art, etc popular.  So many times we like things because the right person at the right time comes along and tells us we do.  As far as Stop Mass Hysteria is concerned, we look around today and we see people frothing at the mouth over politics - from both sides of the aisle - again, this is nothing new.  We've had bouts of mass hysteria throughout our history (Salem witch trials, anyone?).  I came away from both of these books knowing that we all need to stop and breathe and think a whole lot more before we form an opinion or voice our opinion.  We may have been misled and situations may not be as dire as we fear.


Marilla of Green Gables by Sarah McCoy

If you're a fan of Anne of Green Gables, I think you'll enjoy this book.  This book traces the life of Marilla from the time she's about 11 years old until she is about 40 years old.  Ms. McCoy seeks to give possible answers as to why and how Matthew and Marilla grow to be who they are when Anne Shirley comes into their lives.  I think Ms. McCoy does a great job being true to the spirit of all things Anne and Avonlea and I did find this to be an enjoyable read.  The only thing that made it hard was you already know how it ends.  Matthew and Marilla are alone at Green Gables until Anne Shirley arrives in all of her imaginative glory.  Again, if you love Anne and Avonlea, I do recommend this book to you.


Ella by Sarah Price

This is a breezy retelling of the fairy tale Cinderella set in an Amish community.  This was a lovely weekend read that entertained and relaxed me.  If you're looking for a way to unwind this holiday, head to your library and check out Ella.


Becoming Mrs. Lewis by Patti Callahan

I'm actually not quite finished with this book, I'm about two thirds of the way through, but I felt like I'm far enough in to recommend it to you anyway.  This is historical fiction.  Ms. Callahan used unpublished letters, public writings, and interviews with Douglas Gresham (Joy's son) to flesh out the story of Joy and Jack.  If you saw the movie Shadowlands, you'll want to read this book.  Ms. Callahan goes back further than the movie did to tell the history of Joy Davidman Gresham's and C. S. Lewis' relationship.  I love C. S. Lewis, this book made him more human and real to me.  I wish that I could have met both of them and had a good, long chat with them.  I feel even more convinced that I would have enjoyed having them as my neighbors.  (My bucket list includes going to England to see the pub where the Inklings met.)

I hope this long overdue post gives you some ideas of books to read over the holidays.

Until next time...  

Comments

  1. "...stop and breathe and think a whole lot more before we form an opinion or voice our opinion. We may have been misled and situations may not be as dire as we fear."

    Wise words.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What I've Been Reading

A Book for Going and a Book for Coming Home

Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis