Reflections on My Reading Challenge

2018 is coming to a close and now we must turn our attention to a New Year full of new opportunities to grow.  It's exciting and daunting at the same time, isn't it?  I thought now would be a good time to reflect on my reading goals for 2018 and set goals for 2019 (that looks strange, doesn't it?).

This year I followed the Christian Reading Challenge that Tim Challies has put together for the last few years.  My goal was to read two books a week for a grand total of 104.  I'm a librarian, for Pete's sake, how hard could it be?  If President George W. Bush could read more than 100 books in a year while leading the nation, I should be able to read 104 books while working as a librarian, right?   Mr. President, may I just say, "Uncle!!"  I didn't make my goal.  I will make it to the high 90's, which is about 20 books more than I read in 2017. 

I'm glad I followed the plan even though I fell short.  I loved the structure of following a plan.  I can waste my time reading a lot of useless stuff without a little guidance.  I read books that I wouldn't have read without a gentle push from the plan (Poetry?  No, thank you!  But wait!  I found that there is poetry that I like!).  My reading prompted great discussions with fellow librarians, patrons, family, random people in line behind me in the supermarket (I'm not kidding about this one), anyone who would listen and would share with me what they were reading.  I learned a lot - especially that I don't know it all, and it's good to be reminded of that every once in a while.

What I struggled with was the structure.  I'm a rule follower, to a fault.  I got discouraged when there were books that I needed to read for the list, but I wasn't connecting with the genre.  I missed being able to browse the stacks of the library and letting a book jump off of the shelf at me.  I didn't grant myself the grace to pick up a book that I wanted to read - just because - if it didn't fit the list - at least not until late in the fall. 

My plan for the New Year does include printing off the Christian Reading Challenge (which you can find here).  What I'll do differently is change my focus from law to guide.  I'll probably read one book from the list every week (or two) and then read one book of my choice.  I'll focus less on getting to 104 books and more on the joy of reading, relaxing, and learning.

Those are my goals and you can feel free to hold me to them!  How about you?  Have you set reading goals yet?  If so, what are they?  I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Happy New Year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I've Been Reading

A Book for Going and a Book for Coming Home

Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis