A Political Read


I Think You're Wrong (But I'm Listening) by Sarah Stewart Holland and Beth Silvers

What I liked about this book:

This was a challenging read.  Regardless of which party you are registered with or how you voted in the last election, you will be challenged to think differently if you read this book.  We all need that. 

I liked that we were encouraged to speak graciously and listen kindly.  Seriously, the screaming has got to stop if we intend to move forward as a nation.

Their mantra is "both things can be true" - as in maybe we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater.  Sometimes we are able to take part of your answer and part of my answer and bring them together to make a third solution that is better and more complete than either of our solutions would have been on their own. 

What I didn't like about this book:

There was no call to personal responsibility.  In discussing the opioid  crisis, the responsibility was placed squarely on the shoulders of the medical community (and hear me, they do have their share of responsibility).  There was never any mention that perhaps we as patients should pursue health care differently, that we should make different choices in how we manage our physical pain.  This thought comes from watching people we're close to choose to manage their health with pills and surgeries rather than make an effort to change their diet and other habits.  I'm aware that sometimes medication and surgery are necessary, but I also know that some of these interventions are made necessary because of poor choices we make.  We need to hold the medical community responsible for their part and we need to hold ourselves responsible for our part in the problem as well.  And I have no doubt there are other factors than just these two that are at play in such an epidemic.

Remember that mantra "both things can be true"?  It's good as far as it goes, but it stops too soon.  I think we also need to be brave enough and humble enough to say, "I am wrong".  That's no easy task, I know.  But here's reality, sometimes both things can't be true.  Sometimes there truly is only one right answer. 

I do highly recommend this book to you.  If you read it, let me know what you gleaned from your reading.  

Comments

  1. I have to agree with you on choosing better health options and having personal responsibility. A doctor once told me that the medical community is quick to give meds to patients bc it is what the patient expects.

    As you said, people no longer speak civilly (or face to face ) about these third rail issues anymore bc they create such tension in relationships. It's just awful! But on social media, people I know are bolder about speaking their minds...even ON my own social media, when they weren't invited to opine. I think there needs to be a respect for other people's opinions and views. Don't challenge them on FB so you can have a back and forth -- do it in person, and be respectful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What I've Been Reading

A Book for Going and a Book for Coming Home

Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis