Dear Netflix, Thank You


The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shafer and Annie Barrows

I decided to watch something on Netflix last week and I saw a trailer for The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society starring Lily James.  I loved Lily James on Downton Abbey, I loved her as Cinderella, and I loved her in The Darkest Hour.  Naturally I want to see her latest role, but first I needed to read the book.  Off to the library for a lovely weekend read!

The story takes place right after World War II. Juliet Ashton is a writer who had a successful morale boosting column in the London paper during the war and is now getting ready to embark on a book tour around England.  Her publisher is waiting - not very patiently - for her next book to be ready for the presses.  A chance letter from Dawsey Adams sets her on the path to an end to her pernicious writer's block.  

The book is written completely in letter format.  Even so, I felt that the story was complete and didn't leave me wondering about characters or plot points.  I devoured the book in a day and I stayed up late to finish it.  I couldn't put it down.  So there you have my recommendation!

Until next time...

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What I've Been Reading

A Book for Going and a Book for Coming Home

Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis