The Narnia Chronicles Book Two


The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis

I was talking to a friend and patron at the library about this series.  I told her the other day that I want so much to be Lucy, but I think I may be Susan (a little too cynical and slow to believe).  I love re-reading these books.  I cry in the same places and rejoice in the same places every single time.  

This is the first adventure of Peter, Susan, Edmond, and Lucy Pevensie in Narnia.  They enter Narnia through a magical wardrobe in fulfillment of an old Narnian prophecy - that all will be made right when Aslan returns and two sons of Adam and two daughters of Eve sit on the thrones of Cair Paravel.  

I'll just share my favorite scene from the whole book:

"You'll understand when you see him."

"But shall we see him?" asked Susan.

"Why, Daughter of Eve, that's what I brought you here for.  I'm to lead you where you shall meet him," said Mr. Beaver.

"Is - is he a man?" asked Lucy.

"Aslan a man!" said Mr. Beaver sternly.  "Certainly not.  I tell you he is the King of the wood and the son of the great Emperor-Beyond-the-Sea.  Don't you know who is the King of Beasts?  Aslan is a lion - the Lion, the great Lion."

"Ooh!" said Susan, "I'd thought he was a man.  Is he - quite safe?  I shall feel rather nervous about meeting a lion."

"That you will, dearie, and no mistake," said Mrs. Beaver.  "If there's anyone who can appear before Aslan without their knees knocking, they're either braver than most or else just silly."

"Then he isn't safe?" said Lucy.

"Safe?" said Mr. Beaver.  "Don't you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you?  Who said anything about safe? 'Course he isn't safe.  But he's good.  He's the King, I tell you."

If you haven't already done so, I hope you fall in love with Narnia for the first time.  Enjoy!

Until next time...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I've Been Reading

Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis

A Book for Going and a Book for Coming Home