The Upside of Traveling Long Distances


Everything Happens for a Reason and Other Lies I've Loved by Kate Bowler

All three of my children have been safely deposited at their respective institutions of higher learning.  That meant a lot of travel for us, which is tiring.  On the upside, that also meant a lot of miles of reading time!  I read three books.  Actually, I read two books beginning to end and I completed a third that I had started before the trip.  

I really wasn't sure what to expect when I picked up this book at the library.  I haven't read Ms. Bowler's other book nor had I heard of her before coming across this one.  I was a little afraid that I was in for a whiny "woe is me" book that I'd have to return to the library unread.  I was wrong

Ms. Bowler was diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer.  She has a husband whom she met as a middle school aged girl and a preschool aged son.  Life should be just starting for her not possibly coming to its conclusion.  She wrestles with God and all of the twists and turns of her life and what they mean.  She wrestles with the trite comments of people who are trying to make things "better" for her.  This book is the written record of what she is learning on this terrible and beautiful journey.

I want to share with you the two passages that left me a weeping mess in the middle of the highway:

What would it mean for Christians to give up that little piece of the American Dream that says, "You are limitless"?  Everything is not possible.  The mighty Kingdom of God is not yet here.  What if rich did not have to mean wealthy, and whole did not have to mean healed?  What if being people of "the gospel" meant that we are simply people with good news?  God is here.  We are loved.  It is enough.  Page 21, paragraph 2

A couple of Christmases ago, I saw Carol over one of the pews and reached out to give her a hug, remembering only at the last second that she had recently been diagnosed with cancer.  I couldn't figure out what to say when we pulled away and I found I was just staring into her smiling face, stammering something about how sorry I was.  She looked back at me with such calm and said something I had never heard anyone say.

"I have known Christ in so many good times," she said, sincerely and directly.  "And now I will know Him better in His sufferings."   Bottom of page 94 and top of page 95

Our life isn't ultimately about what we have or achieve here in this life.  It's all about Christ and Him being formed in us.  That is the good that all things work together to accomplish (Romans 8:28).

If you read this book, I'd love to hear your thoughts. 

Until next time...


Comments

  1. This book is on my "To Read" list after hearing an interview with the author (https://www.npr.org/2018/02/12/585066841/a-stage-4-cancer-patient-shares-the-pain-and-clarity-of-living-scan-to-scan). Thank you for the review--I'm looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What I've Been Reading

A Book for Going and a Book for Coming Home

Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis