The Rock, The Road, and The Rabbi by Kathie Lee Gifford



I just finished this book yesterday.  I wasn't sure what to expect when I picked up this book, but I must say that I enjoyed Mrs. Gifford's book.  The book's beginnings are rooted in a trip she and her late husband took to Israel with Ray Vander Laan.  Some of you may be familiar with his videos in the That the World May Know series.  He takes tour groups to Israel and explains people, places, and events recorded in Scripture within their historical and cultural context to give more understanding to the participants.  Mrs. Gifford's book seeks to give that historical and cultural understanding to her readers as well as share how this knowledge changed her and grew her understanding.

I loved that the chapters were short.  This would be a great book to use as part of a daily reading habit.  It's also great if you're like me and take a book with you to make the wait in line at the grocery store more pleasant!!  I enjoyed being reminded of what I already knew (I need that) and learning new things.  I appreciated how God layered His message to His people so they couldn't miss it, and neither can we.

My favorite insight was about the town of Bethlehem.  Bethlehem was the town where the Levitical shepherds raised the lambs that would eventually be used as the Passover sacrifices.  The cave stables would have been ritually clean to ensure the purity of the animal.  At birth, the lambs would have been wrapped in cloths to protect them from harm so that they would remain without blemish.  Can you see the connection to Jesus Christ, our ultimate Passover Lamb (I Corinthian 5:7)?  How cool is that!?

Now I recommend this book to you. Head to your bookstore or library soon.  Enjoy!

Until next time...

Comments

  1. "Can you see the connection to Jesus Christ, our ultimate Passover Lamb (I Corinthian 5:7)?"

    YES!

    :)


    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What I've Been Reading

A Book for Going and a Book for Coming Home

Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis