Across the Blue by Carrie Turansky



It was a long week.  A. really. long. week.  By Sunday I was exhausted.  I limped home after church and took a great nap.  The rest of my afternoon and evening consisted of drinking tea and reading this book, Across the Blue by Carrie Turansky.

It was just what the doctor ordered.  It was pleasant and breezy.  There weren't any major surprises.  It was a restful way to spend my Sunday afternoon.  The story revolves around the race to be the first aviator to fly across the English Channel.  A newspaper has offered a financial reward to the first pilot to complete the task.  Of course the newspaper owner has a daughter who falls in love with one of the pilots!  Would we have it any other way?

The one thing I did learn (actually it was more that I was reminded of it) was how few years there were between the beginnings of aviation and World War I.  Airplanes were in their infancy when war broke out.  It's a little surprising to me that both sides chose to use planes for the first time in warfare when they'd been relatively untested.  Then again, it was a very experimental war in several ways.

If you're looking for a beach or restful weekend read, I can recommend this book to you.  Enjoy!

Until next time...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I've Been Reading

A Book for Going and a Book for Coming Home

Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis