The Lacemaker by Laura Frantz



This is new to me author recommended to me by my 85 year old friend who enthusiastically told me, "Oh! I think you'll like this one!"  Who was I to argue with a recommendation like that?

She was right.  I did enjoy this new to me author.  The book is set in Williamsburg, Virginia right before the Revolutionary War began.  A young Tory woman is preparing for her arranged marriage; she finds herself left behind when her father, the lieutenant governor, flees the city to save his own skin.  She, like her mother, has patriot leanings, which are solidified when the only person who comes to her aid is a patriot.  The story itself is fictional, but the setting is accurate to the time.  It was not only an enjoyable read, but a plausible story.  Many families did find themselves divided because of politics, some never to be reconciled. 

This was a good read.  It was both relaxing and able to hold my attention.  I recommend that you head to your library and check it out!

Until next time...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I've Been Reading

A Book for Going and a Book for Coming Home

Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis