Monday Mourning


One of the realities of working at a library is that we need to remove old books to make way for new books.  Some times we're simply replacing an older, well-read, well-loved copy with a new copy that a new generation of readers will grow to appreciate and love.  Some times a book simply isn't circulating any longer and it just needs to be removed. 

I understand all of this - in my head.  Often I can totally understand the reason why a book is no longer being read.  Much popular fiction is written in the moment rather than with a sense of timelessness, there's no enduring message or lesson.  It quickly becomes dated and uninteresting.

Other times my heart just can't agree.  I love the author Dick King-Smith.  If you've seen the movie Babe, I recommend that you go to your local library and find his books.  His books are funny, touching, and delightful.  Everything a children's book should be.  I loved reading his books to my children when they were in elementary school.  I can still remember the cozy warmth of snuggling in with Sophie's Tom, Babe, Clever Lollipop, and Lady Lollipop.  I have beautiful hot cocoa with extra marshmallows kind of memories when I think of his books. 

It makes me sad.  I'm sad for the authors whose books are being forgotten.  A truly good author puts a bit of himself or herself into each book written - a part of a person is being lost.  I'm sad for the readers who will never get to meet the author and the characters that have been skillfully crafted.  I'm sad for the families who won't have the same opportunity to make beautiful memories with this author and with Sophie.

My plea to you, my friend, is not to overlook the old in favor of the new - at least not all of the time.  Make friends with older titles.  Trust me, you'll be glad you did.  And you'll make a librarian's day a little brighter!

Until next time...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I've Been Reading

A Book for Going and a Book for Coming Home

Waking Up in Heaven